Tuesday, September 10, 2013

New Beginnings (Again)

I was inspired last month when I attended a Google Analytics training course (generously paid for by my contract company) and was excited about learning again! That training crystallized something I had been thinking about for a long time, that Content is King!

So when I realized there would be no room for me to grow that interest where I was working, I submitted my 3 weeks notice. Thank you Lord for giving me the wisdom to walk away from my job and to my husband who has been my rock and encouraged me to take this leap.  I love you, honey!

While my plan is to primarily spend these last brief years with my kids before they become too cool for their parents, I recognize the need for me to move forward in my career even if I'm not formally working for anyone so below is my plan.

My youngest is going to be in kindergarten in two years so my goal is to be consulting on my own in 5 years.

Goal:  Content strategy consultant in 5 years

Short-term actions:
1. PRAYER.  Lots of it, asking for God's wisdom for all those conversations and next steps.

2. Networking: I'm talking with select people in my LinkedIn and work network that are making decisions about communications, are in the digital marketing space, are programmers themselves, or are in a strategic leadership position (e.g. in government, private industry, advertising, PR, marketing, consulting, programming, etc.) about what they see as a need in content management AND whether I can do projects with them in the future related to their digital marketing activities.

3. Taking needed classes: I've started taking a statistics class at my local community college at night and plan to take some computing classes next.  One thing I've been hearing is that the production and the "strategists" are not talking to each other in an efficient and meaningful matter for providing users the best experience online with their companies.  I am taking the right classes to ensure I have the right mixture of skills necessary to step into that gap when I'm ready to make the career transition.

4. Research: I am asking for reading recommendations from my networking contacts above about content strategy, following influencers who are the thought-leaders in the space through their professional and personal blogs and writings.  I can do that when my kids are napping or I'm waiting for the bus on my iPhone.

Longer-term actions:
1. Start thinking about the types of projects that will complement what I'm learning and already know and begin mapping out how to get that experience.

At the end of the day, I leave every day in His hands.

Are you going through a career transition?  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment