Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Unexpected Networking Opportunity at the Local Park? Yes!

So today was my first day back at a local parent resource center, where I took my two older boys when I was at home with them 5 years ago.  This was my daughter's first visit and she LOVED it!  Its basically a preschool classroom that is financed by Health and Human Services and supported in partnership with Montgomery County Infants and Toddlers Program.  Now that Maddy's at home with me full-time it was important for us to keep her engaged in age-appropriate activities.

So to explain the unexpected networking opportunity part of this story.  I looked out the window and saw a mom I hadn't seen in person in almost 3 years!  Kim is a blogger and currently a blogger community manager for a Collective Bias.  We met at this parent resource center when our oldest were too young for preschool and we wanted to connect with others in our community.

Note: I have been friends with Kim but haven't seen her in person in almost 5 years so when we reconnected, it was great on personal and surprisingly professional levels (keep reading).  Between catching up with the basics (husbands, older kids, basic career, etc.), laughing at our crazy personalites and lives, and watching our kids play, we talked.  We talked about the challenges we face as moms and families and about the opportunities and plans we have for the future.  We gave each other advice, she on monetizing blogging, and I on career transitions (she's looking for a full-time gig where she can remain working from home) for those interested in a bright and engaging community manager contact her, you'll be glad you did, and it was a great morning.  We're planning to see each other again tomorrow since the center is opened T, W and F from 10-2:30pm.

She and I are now reconnected and I'm thinking about transforming this blog to a lifestyle blog.  She happens to be a lifestyle blog community manager so upon telling her my passions (mentoring/career advice, kids and food), and her encouragement that expand the scope of this blog to include those things, I listened.

Did I know I was going to spend the morning with my daughter in my community meeting other families?  Yes.  Did I think I might make the transition from this blog to a lifestyle blog?  No.  Did I think I'd end up with a potential opportunity to use my ramblings as a way to bring in a few dollars and flex my muscles in the blogging space?  No.

But am I happy I went with my gut to spend the time with my daughter?  Absolutely.  And look how the Lord rewarded that commitment to my family?  I reconnected me with a smart, funny mom whom I haven't talked with in years in a position of influence in the potential next step in my career transformation.  Not bad for day-2 as a full time Stay-at-home-mom.

So now to finish my take-home test for my Algebra/Statistics class at Montgomery College tonight.  Never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment